Thursday 26 April 2007

Mark Ronson


Anyone heard the new Mark Ronson album Version?
Thought I'd try to do a proper review as I've listened to it many times now.
Fully expected to hate this as I thought this guy was RnB because of some of his previous work, and the first single is a Smiths re-work "stop me if you've heard this one before" and no-one does the Smiths like the Smiths!!.
Also some of the guest artists didn't really inspire me that it was going to be good (Robbie Williams, Lily Allen, Amy Whinehouse).
Some filler tracks but a lot worth listening to.
Basically it's a remix album using various artists covering other artists songs, and mainly remixed in a seventies jazz funk style.
Starts well with the Daptone Horns doing an instrumental version of Coldplay's "god put a smile on my face" which wouldn't be out of place on a Tarantino soundtrack.
Best of the rest -Lily Allen doing the Kaiser Chiefs "oh my god" better than expected.
Then the single Daniel Merriweather doing the vocals on the Smiths cover "stop me", really wanted to hate this as I'm a big Smiths fan but it really grows on you, and love the way it drifts into the Supremes "you keep me hanging on" at the end.
Britney's Toxic is done by Ol Dirty B'stard and is certainly different, a slowed down version with the horns in the background make it worth listening to.
I'm not a fan of Amy Winehouse but here she does the Zutons "Valerie", the music again is very 70's and she manages not to ruin this one.
Paul Smith of Maximo park does a version of his own song "apply some pressure", well worth the remix.
Phantom planets version of Radiohead's "Just" is not too different from the original, so a bit undecided on that one.
Kasabian's "LSF" a "funked up" remix of their own song which is really good.
Overall pretty good but a few duff tracks spoil it, Robbie doing the Charlatans "the only one I know" seems to be a mistake, I'm sure he could have found someone else to do this better, and Ronson has filled with a few instrumentals which although not bad made me think the album has been rushed.

No comments: