Monday 30 June 2008

Food and the Health Police

So the government and it's advisors are telling us we're fat bastards and need to eat the products they suggest to survive.

Always took the view that if you worry about something it will probably kill you (An early idea formed after my nan who constantly talked and worried about cancer, became the only person in my very large family to ever have it and die from it?).
Virtually everyone I know who follow a "healthy" diet seem miserable and more prone to illness than those who just eat what they like.
My sister watches everything she eats and is a cleanliness fanatic, but is constantly sick with colds, flu, coughs etc and is currently suffering from depression.

I'm overweight due to a love of toast, pizzas and potatoes and a lack of excercise.
I rarely eat meat (because I'm not keen on it) not sure if kebab meat counts, I hate fruit and haven't eaten any in years (except tomato soup) and the only veg I eat is potatoes (apart from the salad that comes with kebabs), I don't like sugar and I rarely drink alcohol.
I smoke because I like smoking (but that's another argument).
These are all personal choices so it doesn't worry me that I'm missing them.

Stressing about how many calories you can eat surely reduces your life expectancy more than if you just ate the food you are told to avoid?
I might drop dead tomorrow but it's not something I'll lose sleep over, but the lack of worrying about it in my opinion is why I almost never seem to be ill (once a year usually around Christmas I get the flu).

No comments: