Friday 17 April 2015

What A Year

So I was made redundant on the 31st December, so technically unemployed from the 1st January.
No redundancy pay forthcoming.
After a lot of promises about jobs being available back at the Power station as soon as my contract company were out of the picture, nothing actually happened.
Finally applied for Jobseekers near the end of January, then attended an interview with a suitable employer down in Kent which went well.
Went through the demeaning process of signing on with the usual "look down your nose" JSA person, who gives you rubbish information while following whatever the new government guidelines are.
Had a second interview at the Kent job which again went well, they promised a decision within a week (mid February), waited and waited while nothing came through.
Spent a day going through all the jobs available on a multitude of jobs agencies then made a couple of calls to people I have worked with.
Months later I'm still waiting for any replies from any of the jobs advertised on job sites, but did get a couple of interviews through the leads offered by friends.
By the 18th February I had been offered 2 jobs, but I was still hanging on for the Kent job.
Contacted them again and laid out the position, have you made a decision as I'm going to start a new job on Monday but would prefer to work at your job.
They came back with an offer of a 6 week trial, so they could look at me and I could look at them which I agreed to.
Did my 6 weeks working on average 60 hours per week, the travel was reasonable considering it is a 94 mile round trip, with only a few nightmare trips on the homeward journey.
Most of the people I was actually working with assumed I had been employed on a permanent basis and didn't see any reason that I wouldn't be.
At the end of the 6 weeks I arranged yet another interview with the management who informed me that they still hadn't made a decision? but would let me know in the next week.
Two weeks later and despite contacting them no decision has yet been made, so it was back to the job centre to go through that whole routine again.

No comments: