Monday 12 November 2007

Ban It

Smoking was banned in enclosed public areas for a number of reasons, one of the strongest arguments was that it was really bad for asthmatics.
Now as a reformed asthmatic I find this argument to be totally false.
I say reformed asthmatic because after 20+ years of being on 2 Ventolin inhalers a month, my asthma has now gone? this has coincided with me being out of work for the first time in that period.
Possible reasons - when working I was limited to about 2-3 cigarettes during a working day due to the industries I worked in (Petrochemical, Gas etc), now I smoke 20-40 a day.
Also I don't breathe in traffic fumes like I used to when spending around an hour each way on the road going to and from work - Draw your own conclusions.
One thing that does set off my asthma is strong floral smells as found in those air fresheners and products used to fragance your homes.
The missus bought one of those things that sprays a jet of perfume every 10 minutes to make the house smell nice? after half an hour I couldn't breathe and had to stand outside.
If I walk through a perfume department of a department store it has the same effect.

So as minorities can now govern the laws of the country I vote for a complete ban on all air fresheners and perfumes.
I'm sure in ten years time someone else will make the link that these products are killing the atmosphere and cause untold diseases.
Make smoking compulsory as it kills your sense of smell, and you won't need to buy these products as you never smell any foul odours.

No comments: