Saturday 5 January 2008

January Sales

I thought there were laws against companies offering "sale" goods, that weren't actually cheaper than the pre-sale price?
Obviously doesn't apply anymore or the agency that regulates this is too damn busy to keep track of all the offenders.

I finally made my way into town today for the first time since Christmas and am confronted everywhere buy "half price" "60% Off" etc sale offers.
Now I can't say I have a complete list of every price offered pre Christmas, but do have a good memory for the prices of the things I bought people for Christmas as the rip-off prices are imprinted on my brain.
So I have a look today at (for example) a scarf and glove set I bought the wife which was only a fiver before Christmas, now it's 50% Off bargain and it costs ... £6!!
I thought my maths were ok but I'd figured 50% of £5 to be £2.50 obviously I was wrong.
A whole list of other stuff I'd bought was now on sale but exactly the same price it was before the sale.

I know that by sticking these signs on things cons thousands of people into buying them, as it appeals to our mentality but surely there must be others out there with enough common sense to see the con? or am I the only one that looks beyond the offer at the actual price tag before purchasing?

No comments: