Sunday 31 August 2008

Scream

No not the film, just my reaction to those bloody people who seek to make your internet life a misery.
I had a music file in an AIFF (Apple) format, which I couldn't play so I opened up my music converter program and found I didn't have the right codec, so I download it and it tells me it'll only run with an updated version of the main program :(
So I search for a program update (the original has served me well since 2003) and I find one to download, install it and install the new codec and convert the file.
I play the file and it's just 3 minutes of buzzing even though I know it was a music file from the person who gave it to me.
Then I try to go the net to see if I've got the right version and my browser (IE) starts throwing up virus messages :(
I know from experience that it's one of those browser hijack programs that tells you to download some crappy anti-virus programs because you've got thousands of viruses, even though you just have the one dodgy trojan.
Trouble is with these is it's a long winded process deleting them, so I've had to reset my IE and run a few removal programs with multiple shut down / restarts before it's clear.
So I've wasted over 3 hours to get a program which doesn't work properly and the new version is not as easy as the original.

So aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

No comments: