Wednesday 3 September 2008

Banks (Part 2)

Another 45 wasted minutes on the phone and I just end up with the opinion that they are a "shower of shit" (as an old guy I used to know called people who didn't know what they were doing).
I managed to get the number to ring the complaints department direct and after 10 minutes of recorded info about the ongoing court case over unfair charges I finally had someone to speak to, several holds later after explaining my concerns she said that as the payment was taken by DD they wouldn't have checked things like account name and signatures?
I said I wasn't happy about their anti-fraud measures and wanted to speak to someone in the anti-fraud department to register a complaint, eventually I was passed on to that department and another ten or so minutes was wasted voicing my concerns that anyone who had obtained my account number could withdraw money from my account even with the wrong name and no signature (I'm sure if the postie had nicked my Bank statement he would have even had the correct name), but they just kept saying that DD's were set up totally on the account number and other info wasn't checked.
So again I asked to register a complaint about the ease of fleecing bank customers and was passed onto yet another department, this time the DD Indemnity team? have to say he was the most knowledgable of the 3 people I spoke to even though he was in a department you wouldn't normally deal with.
But the basic outcome was that although you could cancel a DD after it had been taken, if anyone had set one up for the entire contents of my bank account the bank would pay them and the first you would know about it (if you didn't check your statement) is when they tried to charge you overdraft fees for a second month payments!

So advice to all fraudsters, use the Abbey as they only check if you try to pay money in?
No wonder banks are going bust.

No comments: