Monday 15 September 2008

Cynical 'ol me

Might just be me? but I get very cynical about company announcements.

Recent ones have included airlines who despite proof to the contrary have decided to keep their ban on liquids being carried as hand luggage because of terror fears, this ban of course includes all drinks that might be carried on long distance flights forcing passengers to cough up extra for drinks onboard.

Various supermarkets plan to charge for plastic carrier bags to "save the environment" while still overpacking just about everything they sell, nothing to do with not making a profit from the free bags I suppose? incidentaly They tell us these bags survive for thousands of years in landfills which is amazing as those I put some old books in and put in the loft have already crumbled to dust after only a couple of years?

My internet company Virgin are charging me extra to have my bill sent in paper form as they say that this is damaging to the environment and I should set up an internet account, while I receive at least one personal letter a week advertising their wares plus several leaflets from them shoved through my letterbox with the pile of junk mail I (and everyone else) get every week.
Now if they didn't send this crap out wouldn't that be better for the environment?

In some ways I admire inginuity of these people who come up with these ideas of how to turn anything into a profit making excercise, it shows great imagination.
Although stringing the lot of them up would make me happier.

No comments: