Wednesday 3 September 2008

Banks

A while back I tried to pay in 2 cheques made out to me in the name Lee, both banks that I have accounts with would not accept them because Lee is actually my second name (long story...).
A couple of months ago a guy from the Red Cross came around looking for a donation, seemed genuine and gave me a pile of info etc, so feeling charitable I said I'd give him some money at which he pointed out that they could not accept money at the door but I could set up a direct debit.
OK I said, give me the form and I'll post it to my bank but he insisted on seeing a bank card, at this despite still believing he was the genuine article the scam alarm bells started ringing.
So my cunning plan was to show him my bank card for my second account (current balance £18, set up for any internet dealings like e-bay etc) and give my name as Lee as I knew they wouldn't accept it without at least checking with me first as I was unable to pay in using that name even after showing them identification.
So imagine my surprise when the first monthly DD has been taken from my account without even a phone call to check?

So bank security is so tight that I am unable to pay money in to my account in person even with ID and my missus who has an account at the same bank standing beside me, but a complete stranger can set up a DD on my account by using my account number and a wrong name and no signature with no trouble at all?
No wonder fraud is so rife.

It does appear the money has gone to the Red Cross and I'm glad to help out, but if he had been a scammer it seems he would have no difficulty in clearing my account.

----
Oh and one other thing the bank in question is the Abbey, the complaints procedure is all on their website and you can make an online complaint which I tried to do but when you press "send" the fucking thing won't connect, tried it about 6 times.
So the other option is to ring them up which I tried and after waiting about 15 minutes I got a woman with very little grasp of English who after a minute put me on hold for another 10 minutes, then I got a different person who in broken English said that I needed to contact my branch!! so I asked for the number and got put on hold again, I gave up after another 10 minutes ..... Fucking useless Bastards.

No comments: