Thursday 11 December 2008

Oliver Postgate RIP


Strange thing happened the other night while watching the news on TV, they announced the death of Oliver Postgate and I suddenly felt incredibly sad :(
Know I didn't know the man and to be honest I probably would never have even recognised him if I saw him, but I felt the sort of sadness you only get when a loved family member or close friend dies.
For anyone who hasn't heard of him he was the creator of classic kids animations in the 1960/70's such as the Clangers, Ivor the Engine, Bagpuss and Noggin the Nog amongst others.
The sort of TV programmes I grew up with and will still sit and watch if they appear on Telly, I even bought the box set of Clangers on DVD.
This was the sort of innocent childrens TV that is now sadly missing, you knew it was cheaply made but you didn't care because that's what gave it it's charm.
The closest thing I can think of today is Nick Park's plasticine animations such as Wallace and Gromit and Creature Comforts.

Here's a classic Clangers episode

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsMZKwqw3w

No comments: