Tuesday 7 August 2007

Crime and Punishment

I was reading one of Nuzz's posts about taking DNA from anyone who commited a crime even trivial ones and my thoughts are why not.
Anyone that's seen the film Gattaca will probably have nightmares about it, but is there anyone out there who hasn't felt concern about rapists, paedophiles and muderers being "out there" after many high profile incidents.
If you can't handle the consequences don't do the crime, and if you've done nothing wrong you shouldn't need to worry.
My personal opinion is that everyone should have their DNA listed, I know it's not 100% foolproof but it's pretty close, and it would surely make a list of suspects much smaller.
So it affects our human rights, I'm willing to forego that right if it makes the lives of my family and friends safer, and stops people kidnapping little kids.

On a vaguely similar theme, I was reading in the local paper about a woman who was zapped by a police speed gun which just happened to be behind a tree, she gets out of her car and goes and has a moan to the cops and writes to the paper about them not being visible.
So there are big signs telling her it's a 30mph zone but it's the coppers fault she was speeding because he wasn't visible, she was speeding she got caught, take the punishment.
I'm not trying to be high and mighty and say I've never broken a speed limit because I have, give me a bit of open road and I'm foot to the floor but common sense tells me that around built up areas you stick to the limits, several times I've had kids run out in front of me and due to the fact I'm under 30mph I've managed to stop well before hitting them.

2 comments:

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

I do fear we are heading for some sort of authoritarian state, in certain areas I think it's needed, If people aint gonna be responsible by themselves then what can be done. It's about the future. I dont want my daughter growing up in a world were everyone does what the fuck they like without a thought for anyone else. So perhapes for things to change, society may have to forgo certain liberties. I aint saying this is right, but perhapes its all part of some 'natural' progression. Marx had a name for all this moving into different epochs, dialectics or something, cant remember one beer too many, I'm gonna gonna go now Lee before I start making les sense than I already have.

Lee said...

Thanks for the comment.

The view more people seem to be taking is that the law breakers have more rights than the law abiding, and maybe something should be done to turn the balance.

According to a recent survey I live in the safest large town in the country? and yet everyone I know has been the victim of at least one crime (Mugged, Attacked on the street, burgled etc) the houses either side of me one was burgled the other was set on fire, my kids have all been attacked on the streets by drunks and the east european gangs that prey on people coming out of the pubs and clubs at night.
The police don't give us any confidence, when my front window was smashed by drunks one friday night it took them 3 days to turn up!! and then they only interviewed the neighbours either side before sodding off?
The local ASBO king commited a long string of burglaries, GBH, muggings etc before he finally did some time, even then only a short stretch before coming out to continue his spree, and to threaten to sue the local paper for printing his picture!!
The local gipsies are going to sue the council and the local paper for letting people know that while living on an illegal site (because they have nowhere to go) and are claiming benefits, they also own a string of houses in the midlands!

It's a mad world, Sorry I'm rambling again.