Tuesday 28 August 2007

Internet Music

I used to spend an absolute fortune on buying records when I was young, thanks to the internet I save a fortune :)
In my mind the record industry owes me a return after wasting all that money when I was a youth, when I could of been spending it on life's essentials when your a teenager.. Booze and Girls.
Yeah although I probably couldn't have drunk more at the time, those things that impress the birds... namely flash cars and wads of cash were out of reach due to music buying addiction.
Anyway it all came back to haunt me when I got hitched and had some kids, I had to flog the majority of the vinyl collection to pay for luxuries like rent, food and gas bills leaving me with my beloved music collection only on a pile of C90's always praying they didn't get jammed in the cassette player.
Then about 7 years ago a work mate gave me his old 133mb Windows 95 computer and I got myself a £10 a month Telewest surf unlimited connection, someone told me about Napster and Audiognome and here we go again.
Using the world's slowest modem on a dial up service I started replacing all the vinyl with mp3's, used to take over an hour per 3 minute song if the person you connected to didn't log off!! and that used to happen a lot as many were connected with those ISP's that disconnected you every hour, luckily my Telewest one was brilliant you stay online 24 hours if you wanted, although the wife wasn't happy about not being able to use the phone.
So in 7 years of downloading I think I've replaced 99% of what I'd originally bought, although I've collected a hell of a lot of stuff that I never owned at the time (just to review of course...hehe).

Shame that Audiogalaxy was closed down just after I got my first broadband connection as it was the greatest file sharing site ever put together, managed to find some of the most obscure punk songs that I had been convinced I couldn't find due to being the only person who'd ever bought the song.
So a big thanks to Napster, Audiognome, Audiogalaxy, WinMX, Morpheus, Kazaa, Direct Connect, BT++, Azureus, Rapidshare and the thousands of bloggers who make it all so easy nowadays.

No comments: