Saturday 7 July 2007

Anti Smoking Nazis

I made an "off the cuff" comment about Anti Smoking Nazis a while back,
but it appears there is a little truth in that statement,
(See the later part of this video).



Although this video is filled with all the usual excuses "we smokers"
use to justify our habit :) it doesn't really tell any lies.
We are just using half truths and random facts to support our argument
in exactly the same way that the ASN use half truths and random facts
in advertising to criminalise us.
I'm suprised no one seems to use the one overriding fact that seems to have
been proven with all studies on smoking - where you live will decide when
you die, far more than your lifestyle choices.
Smokers (and non smokers) are far more likely to die early if they live
in built up areas, than those who live in the country.
People who live near motorways have a far higher chance of lung disease
weather they smoke or not.
Even during my lifetime I can remember "experts" telling me a product
was perfectly safe, only to later find it had harmful side effects or
caused cancer.
All fuels and products we use in modern life are dangerous, but while
companies are making huge profits there will always be a collection of
health officials telling us everything is safe, because they are paid to
say that.

I know I devalue my argument by sticking up for smokers, I know it's
dangerous and certain people will be effected by "passive smoking"
usually those who chose to work in the pub/club trade or anyone that
works long hours in an enclosed area full of smokers.
I remember getting a job years back in a company that produced soap
powder amongst other things, I had the medical tests and found out I
was mildly allergic to the product they produced.
Although the wages were twice what I was on at the time, I turned the
job down for health reasons, so maybe non-smokers should consider the
same options when applying for jobs in smoky environments?
Always reminds me of those people who complain about the noise at
Heathrow airport after moving to a house on the flight path.
It's an acceptable argument if you lived there before the airport was
built, but the majority of homes in that area were built after the
airport so they chose to live there, so should accept what goes with it.

Rants on and on ............

No comments: