Saturday 14 July 2007

You don't see that everyday


So I walk out of Tesco's today, not far behind
a little grey haired old lady struggling to push
her shopping trolley.
Nothing odd about that as Tesco's has a high
percentage of pensioners shopping there.
But then she stopped near to where I had parked,
and I wondered if she had driven to the supermarket, as due to an
additional limp in her shuffling walk she looked more suitable to one of
those "shopmobility" style scooters than a car.
Imagine my surprise when she starts to load the shopping into the back of
a Silver Chevrolet Camaro!! even then I'm thinking her son or grandson
must be coming soon to drive her home.
But after putting the groceries in the back, she toddles off to leave the trolley
in the trolley park and gets into the car.
This is when I notice it's a left hand drive as I'd assumed she was sitting in
the passenger seat.
The car starts up and roars off with her barely able to see over the steering wheel.
I suppose I shouldn't be "ageist" and she might have worked hard all of her life
to own such a lovely car so I shouldn't be shocked.
But I kept thinking about one of my son's who is being crippled financially by the
2 grand he's had to shell out every year to insure a 1.1 litre 10 year old Peugeot
for driving legally on the roads, I'd imagine a Left hand drive American car would
be un-insureable for him or at least 5-10 grand a year?
I'm guessing she doesn't have to pay quite as much, or maybe pensioners are
better off than we're led to believe?
I know who's reactions I'd trust if I'd stepped into the road in front of this car,
and I'm guessing it's not the one who pays least insurance?

1 comment:

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Luv it, great choice of music.. get a grip ha,ha, The mad shall inherit the earth. Keep on blogging in the free world.