Friday 28 September 2007

Call Centres

Not had many dealing with Indian call centres, but this last week I've had to ring them up twice due to my credit card.
I have a Crapital One card which I use now and again for internet purchases, it's got a low limit so if it did fall into the wrong hands they wouldn't be able to rip me off for more than I can afford (that's the theory).
Anyway I tried to buy something over the weekend and the company I was buying from contacted me to say the card company had refused payment, as I only had a balance of £6 owing I rung them up thinking someone had ripped me off?
So I get the first Indian lady on the phone after being passed around the automated options for ages, I don't know if she's based in India or Southall but it was obvious that English wasn't her first language.
After several attempts she finally understood my name, even after spelling it out she still repeated it as a completly different surname? the conversation went something like this -
Me "Can you tell me why my payment was refused, when I have enough funds to pay it?"
Her "do you want to make a payment?"
Me "No, as I said I want to find out why my card was refused"
Her "What method of payment will you be using"
Me "I don't want to make a payment, I want to know why my card has been refused"
Her "Who do you share a card with"
Me "No one it's my card"
Her "You have £6 outstanding, would you like to make a payment"
Me "(pause to compose myself) I would like to find out why my payment of £x to xxxx has been refused"
Her "I will pass you on to another dept, hold the line"
Several minutes pass and I get another Indian lady, and we have to go through the same ritual including explaining my name? after more exchanges about the balance and amount owing it seems to dawn on her what I am saying, so she tells me that she is going to connect me to the fraud department!! now I'm getting worried.
Eventually the phone is answered and I get a guy called Mohammed, and we go through all the previous stuff (name, account details, passwords etc), and then he starts asking me about previous use of the card -
Him "we see you used the card for a national newspaper in July"
Me "yes" (a football competition)
Him "this is the reason, we thought someone else was using your card"
Me "well you billed me for it and I've had no letters from you telling me your fears"
Him "now we've spoken to you we can unblock your card"
Me "why is it if I'm 2 days late with payments you ring me up 3 times a day to find out when I'm paying, but you couldn't ring me up once about this?"
Him "no harm has been done your card is free to use now"
................ SCREAM ...............

Then this morning my statement comes through for this card, I set up a direct debit to pay the minimum at the beginning of August so they wouldn't hit me with late payment charges again.
So I expected it to say I owed £6 as they were supposed to take the payment out during last month, but my balance is now £18 due to a late payment charge.
Another 5 minutes of automated button pressing and I get through to someone who I can't really understand, and he obviously doesn't understand me, not helped by a phone line which keeps cutting out.
Every statement by both of us has to be repeated very slowly, as I tell him a direct debit was set up and he claims there isn't.
I point out that I have a letter from them dated the 2nd August saying thank you for setting up a direct debit, and he says there is no debit set up and I have to make a payment now to avoid further charges.
Despite trying to hammer it home that I have proof of a debit being in place, he won't have it!
So what do I do, no point ringing up someone else at the company as I'll probably get someone worse and who's just reading the set answers again.
....... aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhh ...........

A good reason to never have a credit card.

No comments: