Saturday 22 September 2007

More Reflection

Sitting here after another interrupted nights sleep due to shoulder pain, thinking about life.
The time that I woke up, was it a sixth sense?, as just seconds after getting up and going to the loo I heard my mobile phone ringing, which could only be one person - Son no.2 who works at a nightclub, because no one else I know would ring at 4.30 in the morning.
So I go downstairs and I've figured out it's one of 2 things, 90% chance his mate can't give him a lift home for some reason and he wants me to pick him up, or a 10% chance he's been mugged and is in hospital.
Despite the overwhelming odds it's the first option, I still have to ring him back in case it's something bad.
To explain the dilemma - over the last year or two he's become a selfish, vain, self obsessed individual who will only bother to speak to me or his mother when he wants something, he will only do things around the house if you have a moan, or offer payment despite living here rent free and owing me a load of money for the last 2 years holidays he's taken, typical teen I suppose!!.
But the parental thing kicks in and it's "are you ok?", fortunately it's as expected so off I go to pick him up, as his mates car has broken down.
A quick "thank you" from him, and I'll probably get a "goodbye" when he goes out tomorrow after sleeping all day.. the joys of being a parent.

Son no.1 might pay a visit soon if he needs to borrow some money, although he hasn't bothered to pay the last loan back as he's just set up home with a new girlfriend after his last failed relationship, and the CSA are taking a fair amount out of his wages for the grand daughter I'll probably never see again, so I won't press him for it.
Both decent kids but it makes you wonder what you've done wrong? or is this just the normal way of things and I'm living in this TV sit-com dreamland where kids never go far from home and help out their parents?

I suppose what they are doing is not too different from the way I treated my parents, as a teenager going out with mates, listening to music in my room, going to gigs and football was far more important than sitting with Mum and Dad watching TV, and when I got hitched and left home visits back home started to get less frequent as I had my own life to live and I would often only call on my parents when I needed to borrow money or food, suppose I'm a hypocrite!!, although I'll comfort myself with the knowledge that I used to do a lot for my parents while still living there (gardening, washing up, errands etc).

Oh well, pain killers seem to be working now, so I'll go back to bed and attempt a few more hours sleep.

No comments: