Tuesday 2 October 2007

Treating Myself



Rare that I treat myself to anything other than the odd pack of wine gums and feeding my nicotine habit, but I blew £89 on myself yesterday and bought a USB turntable (see pic above).
I haven't actually set it up yet but I'm hoping I'll finally be able to play some of my vinyls for the first time in about 10 years, once I dig them out of the loft.

My last record player was thrown out a couple of years after I had broken a brand new expensive stylus on a scratched record from a boot sale, I nearly cried as the £12 spent was half a weeks shopping money at the time, and I'd had a big bust up with the missus about spending that much on a luxury item (although to me it was an essential), justified by pointing out that I wasn't going to carry on selling all my records unless I could tape before losing them for ever.

I remember the exact record that did it "Nine to Five" by the Man Eaters (Toyah and Adam Ant), I had been selling at a local boot sale when the guy next to me asked if I was interested in buying a large cardboard box full of 7" singles as most of my stall was boxloads of records, I had a quick browse and in amongst the usual piles of New Kids on the Block, Jason Donovan and Five Star singles I found a couple of Prodigy singles and a couple of others I liked, but as he was asking 25p each I said there was a few I'd like but wasn't interested in the lot (expecting him to want at least £15-20 for all of them).
So after a while he comes back and offers me the lot for a fiver, but as I'd only seen a few I expected to sell on I declined the offer.
As I was packing up at the end, he came back and said I could have the lot for a pound!!, this time I agreed.
When I got home I went through them and there were over 500 singles, including about 50-60 that I later sold for a lot more than a £1 each :)
The Man Eaters one stood out as I believe it's a bit of a rarity, so that went straight on the turntable without checking, seconds later the arm of my record player is skipping across the disc after an un-noticed deep scratch has taken the tip off my stylus (... cry).
At least the sale of the other records more than made up for it, but I never bothered replacing it again.
http://rapidshare.com/files/59737554/Maneaters_-_Nine_To_Five.rar

No comments: