Friday 10 October 2008

Social Networking


My son persauded me to try Facebook recently, and have been on Myspace for a couple of years.
The first thing that strikes me about Facebook is that I'm probably too old for it, the only attraction I can see is if you've got a ton of School / college friends who all add you on to it to relay info or slag people off en-masse.
I'm not that big a fan of MySpace but the fact that you can personalise your page. and that you do come across a hell of a lot of new music on there make it interesting.
Facebook doesn't seem to have any of the redeeming factors mentioned :(

After adding my son to my friends, I have been added by a lot of his friends (some I know, a lot I don't?), so I login and have all these wonderful messages everyday like "i'm gonna get wasted tonight lol" and "xx scored 500 on this game" really interesting stuff!!
I feel like a "Johnny no mates" because I've yet to find any of my friends who use it, I only know a couple of people of my age who used MySpace and that was because they were in bands.
I'll carry on with it for a while just because my boy is away at Uni and doesn't seem to be able to use the phone or e-mail but seems to be able to only use this?
Although I'm still not comfortable with the whole world being able to read any conversations we have.

No comments: