Friday 22 June 2007

The Bomb



Hard to explain my fascination with atomic bombs.
I think it's an age thing? the era I grew up in was the height of the cold war
and the posturing of America and Russia, so nuclear extermination was expected at some time during that period.
I always use this excuse for why I took up smoking and refused to forward plan a pension, no point in worrying about old age as I expected death before I was 30.
So the peace mongers have put me in an awkward position in that I'm now going to be a penniless pensioner with lung cancer :(

Anyway for anyone that doesn't really understand what we went through, have a read of Raymond Briggs's novel "When the wind blows" or get a copy of the excellent animated film version, in it's quaint little way it shows how everyone just accepted the coming horror.
The public information films "Protect and Survive" voiced by Patrick Allen, were enough to scare the crap out of you, with the matter of fact way they would tell you to wrap and label any dead bodies.
I never really figured out how I would get home during the four minute warning, and remove my doors to make a shelter.

Used to just hope I was near enough to London for a quick death from the blast, rather than a slow lingering radiation death, morbid I know but that's how I used to think.

No comments: